As of Sunday, The First Slam Dunk, the latest film adaptation of Takehiko Inoue’s manga Slam Dunk, had generated 13.88 billion yen (around 102 million USD), selling 9.66 million tickets in Japan.
Currently, the film is the 16th highest-earning film of all time in Japan. The First Slam Dunk has also become the 10th highest-earning anime film in Japan.
In both rankings, the film is now just above Jujutsu Kaisen 0 and below Weathering With You.
During its opening weekend in December 2022, the film ranked number one with 847,000 tickets sold, earning around 9.5 million USD.
The film’s producer, Toshiyuki Matsui, received this year’s general award for Eiga Engeki Bunka Kyokai’s 42nd annual Fujimoto Awards.
The staff of the film include:
- Screenplay: Takehiko Inoue
- Designer and animation director: Yasuke Ebara
- Technical Directors: Katsuhiko Kitada, Naoki Miyahara, and Yu Kamatani
- CG Director: Daiki Nakazawa
- CG Producer: Yuta Ogura
- Art Director: Kazuo Ogura
- Sound Directors: Yota Tsuruoka and Koji Kasamatsu
- Subaru Kimura as Hanamichi Sakuragi
- Shinichiro Kamio as Kaede Nagarekawa
- Sogo Nakamura as Ryota Miyagi
- Jun Kasama as Hisashi Mitsui
- Kenta Miake as Goken Aakagi
This summer, the film will be released in the United States and Canada by GKIDS with English subtitles.
GKIDS describe the film as:
Shohoku’s “speedster” and point guard, Ryota Miyagi, always plays with brains and lightning speed, running circles around his opponents while feigning composure.
Born and raised in Okinawa, Ryota had a brother who was three years older.
Following in the footsteps of his older brother, who was a famous local player from a young age, Ryota also became addicted to basketball.
In his second year of high school, Ryota plays with the Shohoku High School basketball team along with Sakuragi, Rukawa, Akagi, and Mitsui as they take the stage at the Inter-High School National Championship.
Now, they are on the brink of challenging the reigning champions, Sannoh Kogyo High School.
Source: Mantan Web